Sunday, July 11, 2010

Am I The Only One?

I find it incredibly annoying when parents don't teach their children the proper names of their body parts. I realize this is a touchy subject for some people, but come on. Do we give our arms and legs funny names? What about our eyebrows and ears? "I'm going to get Sadie's wingdings pierced tomorrow." "I really need to pluck my fuzzy wuzzies." I mean come on. Really? Is is so hard to call body parts what they really are? This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Recently I was talking with a friend and we were discussing the inappropriate behavior of our seven year old's when they were playing together. They were talking about a certain body part that only boys have. She informed me that she had no idea where her son learned to call it a penis. SERIOUSLY? How do you have four sons and you don't know where he learned to call it by it's proper name? I also read a blog post this morning where another mom was taken back when her daughter said she needed to wash her "noodle." She told her she didn't have a "noodle" and the girl wanted to know what she had. SERIOUSLY? Why is it so taboo? All along I've had friends who gave their kid's "private parts" nick names and didn't teach them the proper name. I've never quite understood it. Brandon grew up calling it a wickerdoo. Special. Just special. Now, I will be totally honest, I'm not looking forward to having to teach Sadie the proper name of her "who-ha" but I will. For some reason, I just don't like that word. BUT STILL, I'm not going to have her calling it a "wickerdee" or something silly like that.

So am I the only one who finds it silly when parents don't teach their children the names of ALL their body parts?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Your funny. I was torn when I found out that Alex was a boy. I didn’t know if I wanted to teach him the proper name or give it a nickname. But in the end I decided that he would be confused if I taught him that it was a "pee pee" and then asked if he needed to go pee pee so in the end I am glad I decided to go with the proper name. At first it was hard to say but now its just another word.

Kristine said...

I haven't figured out what to teach my girls. For the boys, there's a couple obvious things. For the girls, there's 5 or so names I could use. I haven't told Anna any silly names - just not used any. Well, perhaps "privates" and "private parts."

Kari said...

Oh man. *wipes tears* Nick & I are sitting at Tim Horton's & I just bust out laughing. Nope, no internet at home yet. OK, with my boys, they know what's what, but we tend to call them "buddies" or "buddy". Oh crap, I think I need to rename the fish we inherited. I remember Shane (oh he's going to KILL me if he ever sees this) when he was little he made a song, "penis and testicles, penis and testicles". Complete with a little dance. Oh, Nick found it very amusing about Brandon's "wickerdoo". I love ya silly!!!!

trinashultz said...

I am with you 100% on this one Beth. Says something about us a society. It never crossed my mind to make up nicknames.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...